The question I get asked most often when people see me knitting is “What made you get into knitting”? Well, my answer is simple but a bit lengthy (plus I’m sure I’ve told you before – check out the Hugzzz page if you don’t know) so I won’t get into it here. However, there is another common question that has multiple answers … “How do you know you’re a knitter”? Here’s a few answers (I just wrote down thoughts and found that I’m guilty of most of these)… send me some of yours for a future post (remember there’s a contest going on )
You know you’re a knitter when …
- You’re STABLE – STash Amount Beyond Life Expectancy
- When you go on a trip you use your toiletry bag for knitting nicknacks instead of toothbrush and razors
- You bring a reading light to the movies for the dark scenes so you can see your knitting
- You keep the wooden chopsticks in case you’re ever without your knitting needles
- You start eying your co-workers waist length hair and wonder if there’s enough to make yourself a vest
- There’s no linen closet in your house – you’ve converted it into a stash bin for your UFO’s
- You start knitting on Boxing Day for NEXT Christmas’ presents
- You have at least 3 sets of needles and at least half of them have a project on the go
- When told it’s time to go you’re always heard saying “Can I finish my row”?
- Sheep avoid you in the wintertime because they’re afraid of being cold after you shear them
- The neighborhood pets are all bald and traces of their fur can be found in your spinning wheel
- You look at spaghetti and start drooling
- You no longer use the 8 “normal” colors – instead you see things as colorways of your favorite manufacturers
- You seriously consider moving to the North Pole or Antarctica so you can wear sweaters year round
- When somebody mentions UFO you think of your stash instead of ETs
- You’re upset when your television show finishes in the middle of a row
- You leave your car at the store and take the bus home so you can get started on that knitting project you just bought right away! (Cindy S)
- You fell asleep while knitting and wake up to find that you dreamt about knitting and your hand kept on going
- You’re more interested in the sweater the hot redhead is wearing instead of trying to get her phone number (yup, this really happened – feel free to substitute the redhead for whoever you passed up)
- In a fire you try to save your stash before your partner – or your cat!
- You use the word pattern instead of recipe
- You plan road trips by the projects that you can finish during them
- You get slapped for touching strangers because of the sweater they’re wearing
- You always have your camera handy to take pictures of sweaters people are wearing
- You start knitting and watching TV and then realize that it’s time for breakfast … and the TV has a weird color code on it …
- You don’t mind having to go to the hospital because you’ll get to knit undisturbed the whole time
- You won’t date someone because you know they won’t hand wash and lay flat to dry the things you’ll want to knit for them
- You always look at things and think of ways to make it better – at least to you!
Okay, needless to say, I could go on. But then I wouldn’t have material for another post. So most of these are actual signs that I have seen in myself that tells me I’m a knitter. What about you?